Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Fruits of Training

As has been the custom for the past 10 years, Saturday is our cleaning day. This doesn't mean that we don't clean the rest of the week, because with 13 people in the house we do a fair amount of cleaning every day. It refers more to the once a week, every room gets a thorough once over type of cleaning. We vacuum the carpet and stairs, sweep and mop the hardwood floors, scrub down the bathrooms, dust, tidy up the garage, pull out the laundry hampers and clean up all of the lint that has glued itself to the laundry room floor, and spot clean any other area that needs it. (How do the fingerprints get up there?)

As a child, I remember cleaning the house before Grandma would come to visit. The list included the basics, vacuuming, washing the dining room floor and dusting. That was it for my list. It was 3 small rooms, no bathrooms and I remember the feeling of utter doom. Surely it was going to take me aaaall daaaaay! Instead of approaching the task with joy at being able to serve, I was overwhelmed with thoughts of selfishness. I would drag my feet, do as little as possible and whine incessantly when asked to go back and complete the task properly. Ugh! (I have apologized to my mother a plethora of times for my behavior.)

I didn't learn the joy of cleaning, or how to do it completely and efficiently. I was left to learn these lessons with small children in the home, at the same time I was learning how to be a mother, how to be a biblical wife, how to cook and how to manage my home.

I want something better for my kids. I want household tasks and efficiency to be the least of their concerns when they have little ones to care for. With this in mind, we started teaching our children how to cook, clean and take care of things around the house. For our Saturday cleaning, we have 6 different tasks for the children to choose from. Each of the children, starting at the age of 9, take a task. Often times two will work together to increase efficiency. The younger children, 3-7, follow along and help where they can. For example, they help whoever is vacuuming by moving objects in the way. Some children sing while they work, some children listen to music on an iPod, and some quietly work while listening to the noise around them. However it is accomplished, I remind them that God wants us to serve cheerfully. He is not interested in outward obedience with inner grumbling. To Him that is not serving nor obeying.

When Sunday comes around, we can enjoy our sabbath rest, knowing that each of us has contributed to the order, peace and cleanliness of our home. This is just one of the fruits of faithful training.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you care for your children in such a sweet, Godly way! It help a LOT more than most would think! :)

Anonymous said...

helpS. Sorry I wasn't looking!!

Unknown said...

I love reading stuff like this! Keep 'em coming!
Miss y'all

Ann said...

Lovely, works for small families too!