Thursday, June 9, 2011

God's plans

"I woke up this morning feeling a bit like my 5 days with my husband were already over before they began. I had to remind myself that it is important to make each moment count. So instead of thinking of it as 5 days that have already passed, I will be concentrating on the 120 hours I have left!"
This was my morning update on Facebook today. I was asked by a friend if seeing the positive in things and remaining calm during such uncertain times is a learned response or if I was raised that way. I had to answer that because of God's continuing faithfulness to me, I have no reason to doubt. There is no need to fret or worry about what will happen tomorrow for I have no control over that.

In my younger married days, I remember as a mother and as a wife trying to control every little detail to make sure that everything turned out the way I wanted it to. Somewhere between then and now I have learned a few things. First, when things turn out contrary to how I would have envisioned, more often than not it is much better than I could have planned. What a pleasant surprise to realize that other people have great ideas, too, and that I'm not the only one who can be right. Second, God works all things together for good to those who are the called (Romans 8:28) so I don't need to take care of God's work. Life is much more peaceful when we trust in Him, have faith that He is working in His time for our good and accept the gifts He gives us. I believe that to include going where He wants us to go and accepting whatever He gives us to deal with (knowing that He is with us along the way).

For me, that means a temporary separation from my husband and two oldest boys. I don't know why things have worked out like they have, but it is not my place to question God. It is only for me to have faith that He is working out the details for my good. I know that He is with each of us during these difficult weeks and months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, You and Larry have been in my prayers! It's good to see God's sovereign hand in these things and choose joy...even when humanly our choice would be to have him and the boys be closer. Thanks for seeking a different perspective! Love, Kristin

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

Gunnar and I have also been separted for about a year now while he builds our house. I often wonder about God's plan and heard a quote today that went something like "Don't think, Just pray". That has kept me from having a stroke :-) but seriously I needed your post...thanks!
Linda S.