Thursday, December 27, 2007

General musings.

As I was reading a fellow blogger's blog, I decided to copy a bit of what she said. (Thank you, Aimee.) I find myself a very visual person, and so I like to add pictures to the blog with a little writing. I don't write a lot about what we are doing, other than to add a caption or story to a picture. I will have to give this journaling a whirl and see what sort of feedback I get from my faithful viewers. That means that you faithful viewers will have to leave feedback for me! And so begins my journaling about what goes on here at our house.

Today we are packing closets. Are you familiar with the child who likes to "stash"? I have one. When we tackle a job like emptying out a closet, or cleaning out under the beds, we inevitably discover this child's stashes. They are usually a collection of small items that get lumped together and "put away" quickly so that the cleaning is done and fun may be had. I am thankful that there is rarely food involved. I shudder at the thought.

My goal for the day is to have all of the clothes closets moved over and arranged at the new home, as well as the linen closet, toy closet and front hall closet, and the boxes of off season clothing put away in my new storage closet. It is a hefty goal considering that it is noon here and nothing has been moved yet. The girls have their closet ready, the two boys' closets are not ready. It will be close!

If any of you viewers have any moving tips, please post them for me. I would love to get input and any helpful tips that may make the next week run smoothly.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's see moving tips.......
Ok I am horrible at moving so I don't think I can be any help!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a mega family but here's my tip: let each child have one medium-sized box with a lid for his treasures. When it's full, he has to sort it to make room for new treasures. I'm a "thrower" but am learning to be sensitive to my daughter and husband, who aren't. My girls stash under their pillows. I laugh at what I find under there!

Kristin

Paula B. said...

Amy -
How exciting! The house is ready! PTL!

After 10 moves in 9 years, I developed a few short-cuts. We haven't moved for 11+ years so I am rusty, and sorta missing the way those frequent moves eliminated the 'keep just in case' stuff that is filling my storage areas right now!

- I found I could endure any amount of unpacked boxes throughout the house if only the kitchen was in order. So that was my primary focus. It is hard to care/feed a family when everything you need is stowed in numerous boxes.

-All current kitchen drawers can be carted over to the new house and emptied directly into a new drawer, rather than packing and unpacking. This helps keep all the things you are used to having together in the same place, without having to sort and make decisions.

-Those now empty drawers from the old house also make nice temporary 'boxes' to cart over linens, towels, etc. They will need to be unpacked right away, but it minimizes the need for boxes.

-emptying drawers, and towels and linens are a pretty easy thing for a smaller child to unpack also. It's just transfer work and doesn't require any decisions once you indicate where they belong.

-make sure to put a meal into the slow cooker for moving day. Sloppy joes, chili, anything that people can grab a quick bite to eat when they have a moment and can re-fuel before hitting the boxes & furniture again. use paper plates.

-a casserole planned for the next day is also nice...you know me, I always have meals in the freezer for these types of days!

-labels on boxes were a must if lots of people were helping. I printed label blanks that indicated the room/area where the boxes needed to go, along with a brief note of contents. This speeds up the process because people aren't having to constantly ask "Where does this go?" If you will be stacking boxes, label the side rather than the top...then you can see at a glance where that box you are searching for is. Will have to ask your moving crew to stack with label visible not against a wall).

okay - that exhausts my tips/hints.
hope others have a few for you.
Blessings on your move!

Anonymous said...

304 Lilac Ct

?? We live on Lilac Lane...looking out the windows of your photos and seeing snow...I'm wondering if we live in the same town and possibly neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

304 Lilac Ct

?? We live on Lilac Lane...looking out the windows of your photos and seeing snow...I'm wondering if we live in the same town and possibly neighborhood.